Started in 1997 as home video (DVD) sales and rental company with 30 employees and 925 DVDs. Currently, their plethora of services include content-production and distribution over streaming and have more than 103.95 million subscribers worldwide operating over more than 190 countries. But we are not here for Wikipedia knowledge. Let’s dive deep in some analysis of 500 Netflix shows.
Yearly Show Releases
A cursory look at the data shows that number of Netflix shows has grown significantly after 2014. The success of House of cards, an ‘Netflix Original’, encouraged for more content creation rather than just distribution.
- 1st significant spike in shows releases came in 2012. In that year, Netflix signed multi-year deals with The Weinstein Company & Walt Disney Studios.
- 2nd significant spike came in 2015. That time signifies the release of many coveted series from Marvel Universe. 2015 also saw release of highly popular Narcos and Bloodline.
- On sensing popularity of ‘Original’ content, Netflix released an estimated 126 original series or films in 2016 which was more than any other network or cable channel. Overall, major releases included expansion into Marvel Universe, Stranger Things, Love, Lady Dynamite and The Ranch. Moreover, more content from Walt Disney Studios was made available in this year.
- The Netflix expects to release more than 1000 hours of original content in 2017
Netflix Content Mix
Netflix, in last 5 years has been moving away from children focused content to more mature segment.
- From more than 60% contribution in 2012, the PG segment content has come down to around 50%. Still the largest segment, it has given some space to Mature segment content.
- Mature segment content has steadily grown from little less than 5% in 2012 to more than 25% in 2016.
- At the same time, Unrated and Adult shows have retained their contribution.
- All round family or General content (unrestricted) has declined from around 30% to 20% in 2016.
In nutshell, we can expect more mature audience targeted content from Netflix in the future, more Original series but with equal focus on PG segment making it an all round family channel catering to all.